Wednesday, March 2, 2011

What I forgot about being pregnant

Given that this is our third pregnancy, you would think that I would have the hang of it down by now.  Alas, I seem to have forgotten a number of things about what it feels like to be pregnant.  I know pregnant women are supposed to glow and have fabulous hair and skin and have inordinate amounts of energy to nest and clean, but apparently I have forgotten the, how do I put this delicately, blahs of pregnancy.  Please indulge me for a moment while I wallow in self-pity.

This day-long "morning" sickness really blows.  Though I do not have any solid evidence, I firmly believe that it was a crusty old male doctor who coined the phrase "morning sickness."  

My gag reflex is hypersensitive, which makes brushing my teeth awkward and dangerous.  I had this with #1, #2, and now #3 is right on track.

My sense of smell is also hypersensitive.  I nearly lost my lunch in the grocery store when I passed by the meat counter.  That elderly lady in the salmon cardigan probably thought I was having some sort of seizure.

Finally, I contend that my emotions are also in hyperdrive.  On Sunday night, when Randy Newman sang "We Belong Together" at the the Oscars, I kind of lost in on the couch.  Steve made fun of me, so I tried to blame it on my pregnancy hormones and he replied that I was not that pregnant and therefore had no excuse to be crying over Randy Newman.  He is clearly made of stone.

2009
2010
Thank goodness babies and kids are cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment